Japan 2010, Day 3

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Arnond and I woke up early today, and moved the remainder of the stuff into my room. We then found that the hotel had been smart enough to figure out that the two reservations were connected and that we didn’t have to check out. Oh well. We then headed towards Reitaisai at Big Sight, leaving Ueno around 8:40AM. We used the Yurikamome Line to get to Kokusai-tenjijo-seimon station. Once we arrived, there wasn't a super line from the station to get in, so Arnond accompanied me to pick up some shikishi from a 100 yen store on Daiba. That turned out to be an error in judgment, as the line turned out to be in a very different place than my experience with Comic Market, so there was in fact quite a large line to get in by the time we got to it around 10:30.

The crowd of people that was the line

We finally got in at probably 11:15 or so. Arnond headed straight for the East 3 Hall to try to pick up doujin music, and I went to the line for obtaining permission to take photos. Unfortunately, that line was also very long, and it took about an hour to make it through and get my camera registered. I then visited the list of places I wanted to go and, as expected, found that several places were already sold out. After getting all around, I went to the cosplay area (which had been moved to the East 2 Hall), and was determined to take advantage of my camera wielding permissions.

Marisa and Reimu cosplayers at Reitaisai

Unfortunately, I didn’t take as many pictures as I would have liked, as I didn't have a lot of time. Not surprisingly, there was a large amount of crossplayers. Anyway, when it was over, we headed back to the hotel and dropped off our stuff. I then ran into Chris there for the first time on the trip.

Meeting Chris for the first time on this trip

We then headed out together to the Kira Kira Majokko concert at Shibuya-AX, where it seems a lot of lesser known female bands and idols did covers of magical girl show songs, and they were selling a CD of the songs at the concert too. We got there late too, partly from getting lost in Shibuya. On the way to the concert, Chris told us about how the STANCE PUNKS concert had been the best he had ever been to, and that he was interviewed for Japanese TV in Akiba, during which he sang part of the Mazinger Z theme song. Anyway, the magical girl concert was pretty cool, and it was capped off at the end of the night with who we had gone to see, Tomoe Shinohara. They also had the voice actor for Mami from Creamy Mami, and she did some duets with Shinohara and also some solos too. Got food from Mos Burger and cherry blossom themed drinks from Starbucks after the concert and headed back to the hotel. On the way back, we saw an interesting advertisement for McCafe; I really had never associated McCafe with the crowd that wore montsuki kimonos, and I still don't get it. I always figured montsuki kimino wearers were too badass to drink caramel lattes from McDonald's, but I guess I was wrong.

An advertisement for McCafe in Shibuya Station

Anyway, once we got back, I stayed up to rip the CDs I bought to put them on my iPod, and then prepped for a day of Akiba shopping the next day. Not much sleep for me again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arcade Stick Artwork

IDOLM@STER News!

Japan 2010, Day 16